Hello and welcome to my blog, thank you so much for being here! I'm Laura, a solo mum of identical twin girls Lilah and Posie, who are 20 months old and also a dog mummy to Figgy our 3-year-old Cocker Spaniel. All posts are my own thoughts, feelings and opinions. Parenting and life can be hard, but it's much easier when we choose to be our authentic selves. How I have chosen to raise my children is the right way for me and you too will have your own right way. I like to think we can have a happier more wholesome life when we stop worrying about what is the right way for other people and turn the focus on what is the right way for us. You do you Mama! I started this blog in the hope that one day my girls would like to look back on our journey, to inspire and give hope to my readers and as a form of self-therapy. I hope you'll laugh, cry and grow with me.
Much love, Laura xx
10 things about me
1) My favourite place in the world is Cornwall. It just feels like home. I've already taken the girls once, and have booked to go again in April. I feel like I may have lived there in a past life!
2) I've been vegan for 6 years now. I love cooking and veganise so many recipes. We literally don't miss out on anything, it's so easy now!
3) I used to read a lot, and hope as the girls get older I can get back into reading a bit more. I like period fiction and psychology self-help books and blogs. I like to know why we as humans behave the way we do.
4) I lived in Jamaica when I was 20. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Some of it was magical, some not so much, but it helped shape me.
5)I have had emetophobia (fear of throwing up or others throwing up) for as long as I can remember. I also had agoraphobia in my twenties and barely left the house for a few years. I am so happy to have left those days behind, but I learned a lot from them.
6) I nearly died after having a minor operation due to an allergic reaction to the anaesthesia. I am so grateful for the experience as it put me on the right path to having my girls.
7) I have worked for myself since I was 24. Originally I had my own mortgage and insurance broker company and then moved on to making dog collars and accessories with my sister. Our business Salt Dog Studios has been going for 10 years this year and has given us the freedom to have the lifestyle we want.
8) Family is everything to me. I grew up in a very close-knit family, my sister and mum are my very best friends. I love how close my nephews and girls are, they are already more like siblings than cousins and can't wait to see how their relationships blossom as they grow up.
9) I am not religious, but have discovered my spiritual side over the last few years. I would say that I used to be more of a pessimist but have worked hard to change that and I feel the benefit of changing my belief system.
10) I love learning and having a project. I remember my mum saying to me that when she was 19 she thought she knew everything and the older she gets the more she realises she doesn't know anything. It's so true!